Festival of Lights or Deepavali/ Diwali is a major Hindu festival celebrated across the world. There are several reasons why this we celebrate this festival….
- Goddess Lakshmi’s birthday – hence she is worshipped
- Return of Pandavas from exile – from the great epic Mahabharata
- Lord Krishna killed the demon Narakasur – he rescued 16000 women from captivity
- Lord Vishnu rescued Lakshmi from the prison of King Bali
- Victory of Lord Ram and his return home after slaying Ravan, the Lanka king – Lanka is current Srilanka
- Coronation of king Vikramaditya – one of the greatest Hindu king
Spiritually it is celebrated for victory of good over evil. Though the festival is spread over a five day period, the main night of Deepavali is celebrated on the darkest night, a new moon night of Hindu Lunisolar calender.
We, Bengalis, celebrate the festival by worshipping one of our patron Goddess, Kali. So we call it ‘Kali Pujo’.
By whatever name this festival may be called, it is still a Festival of Lights. 🙂
I couldn’t let the festival pass by without some fun with lights 😉
Wishing all my readers, fellow bloggers and friends A Very Happy Deepavali !!!
Cheers !! 😀